Thursday, July 16, 2015

Doing the Right Thing...

From the time we are small children, we are taught (hopefully) by our parents the importance of doing the "right thing".  From treating others with respect to having a "happy plate"... It's all relevant in doing the "right thing".  As we get older and life begins to take its toll on us, it seems that some people find it harder to do what is right.  Life gets in the way. Greed gets in the way.  Finances get in the way.  Our jobs, our kids, our lack of time for ourselves, dealing with problems past/present/future... They can make you selfish.  It all clouds our judgment of doing the right thing in all situations. Doing the right thing isn't always the easiest road to take.  In fact, it's often the more difficult path.  It's often the one that requires a lot of thought and a lot of sacrifice.  I'm thankful that my parents raised me to do the right thing.  I'm not perfect.  Far from it.  I've certainly walked my own path of wrong choices and mistakes.  Despite all of that, I'm glad that I still possess compassion for others, no matter what bearing it has on my own life.  Whether I know you or not, I have compassion.  Whether I like you or not, I have compassion. Whether our skin is the same color or not, I have compassion. Whether our beliefs are the same or not, I have compassion. 
I work with people every day in my job who are struggling to pay tax bills they can't pay.  It takes an emotional toll on me day in and day out because I do have such a sympathetic heart and a love for others, even strangers.  I want to help, even when it isn't my "job" or my "duty" to help.  At the end of the day, I know that I can lay my head down each night and say that I strived to do right every day...That I strived to hear the needs of another person and help them if at all possible.  This is what compassion is all about.  I'm amazed at the lack of compassion in so many people.  People right here in our community.  People who immerse themselves in church and call themselves Christians.  People who are hypocritical in that they hide behind a cloak of "godliness", yet help to inflict pain and suffering on others.  People who view their needs as more important than the needs of others. I may go to my grave with fewer possessions and less money in the bank, but I will always know that I treated others the way I wanted to be treated and never tried to step on others for my own benefit.  In fact, I will always know that I worked hard to build others up every chance I got.











No comments:

Post a Comment