Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thankfulness...

So, although I am horrible at keeping up with writing these blogs and I certainly haven't done the daily November entries of things I am thankful for, I am a VERY thankful person. Today, I choose to focus on my family... Here goes...

For me, family is a very broad term that applies to a whole lot of people.  So specifically, I am thankful for my parents, who brought me into the world and taught me right from wrong (or tried!).  I love their example of a long lasting marriage, something I have so far not been blessed with. (but I plan to be in that club in a few decades if Stan will keep putting up with me.)  They have seen me struggle with divorce, cancer, death & almost everything in between. They were only blessed with one living child, but that one child has given them a run for their money, caused a lot of worry and made them sit through a lot of sleepless, worried nights.  (and they never killed me - thanks guys! :) ) They have seen me through the darkest of times but never left my side.  I am thankful for my children... all 5 of them... the 3 I gave birth to and the 2 that I chose to love and raise as my own.  They are special... every single one of them.  They bring daily joy into my life with their sweet smiles and innocence.  Every one of our children live in non-traditional households because of divorce or the death of a parent... and they do it well.  They will never know how much they amaze me and how much they are all loved.  I am thankful for my in-laws... Every single one of them... past & present.  I am thankful that they are all there, especially for my children, and that they help me show them every day that despite their unique circumstances, they are loved in many places and in many hearts.   I'm thankful that my children will grow up knowing that love and family aren't about blood.
I am thankful for a vast amount of aunts, uncles and cousins that I love dearly.  I'm so glad that we are the close family that we are... it is rare nowadays to find large extended families who get along and truly love each other.  We do that. I am so grateful for every one of you... When I count my immediates, I have 7 uncles, 8 aunts and 16 first cousins, spouses not included.  I also have 20 second cousins and many of them are like my own children!  Not everyone can even name a 2nd cousin, yet some of those kids are like siblings to my children.  It's amazing really... And I thank all of you for what you bring into my life.   Every single one of you have impacted my life and shaped me and I thank you for that.  I hope some of you younger ones will look back someday and say that I helped shape yours!  Don't think for a second that I forgot about Stan... Because guess what?  He gets to be last...mainly because, well, he is the only one in this list of poor souls that CHOSE me...so he is his own kind of special.  Everyone else was stuck with me because of blood relation, like it or not.  He actually sought me out, apparently found some good in me and stuck around. He and I are definitely not the traditional couple at all... We are Mike and Carol Brady, minus the bell bottoms and weird stuff! Haha! We lived whole lives before each other, yet somehow it all fit together perfectly and the past was erased when we came together.  I am so thankful for him on so many levels.  He tells me daily how thankful he is for me... and some days I have no clue why.  He tells me that even though our time together has been short, that it has been the best of his life. He tells me that he never knew that true love REALLY existed until he met me.  He tells me that I am his soulmate and that he knew it from practically our first date.  He stepped into a role that many men would have run from.  For many, it would have been too much drama... It would have been too hard... It would have been too much work... But for him, it was an easy, selfless choice.  I am thankful every day for the chance he took with me. Our choice to be together has been our every happiness and our beautiful family is our greatest blessing.

So, today, like every day, I am abundantly thankful.  I probably don't say it enough but my heart overflows every day with love and gratitude for my many blessings in this life.  I am also grateful for our many friends, young and old.  Happy Thanksgiving to you all, with lots of love.


No comments:

Post a Comment